Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dinner at Random: Four Easy Meals

I haven't been blogging as much as I would like, but I did take pictures of some of my easy meals to post. These are some random inventions that have made their way into staples.

1. Cheesy Broccoli and Pasta

I have grown to love nutritional yeast as a cheese alternative to macaroni 'n' cheese inspired dishes. It has a great flavor, is easy to work with, and gives you that thick consistency that you want with old school dishes. I basically make the pasta as normal, but steam the broccoli over that pasta water as I cook it. Then I place 1/3 C of nutritional yeast, 1 T of Arrowroot powder or flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/3 C water into a pot. Heat for about 10 minutes stirring until it becomes thick to your preference. (In a pinch the micro works too) Pour cheese mixture and broccoli over the drained pasta and mix well. Sometimes I just use this cheese over broccoli.



2. Couscous, Spinach, and Tomatoes
This is a quick and easy lunch or dinner if you are starving or just don't have time to bother. I place 1/2 C wheat couscous in a bowl and then heat water in a kettle. When the water is boiling, I cover the couscous, add spinach leaves and tomatoes and let sit. For more flavor you can add a broth cube to the mix. Sometimes I simply put a dab of oil in this and sprinkle with salt. Once the couscous is done mix well.


3. Quinoa, Arugula, and Chickpeas
Really easy meal. Cook 1/2 quinoa for about 20 minutes in 3/4 C water until the water is absorbed. Use a broth cube if you want more flavor. Once the quinoa is finished, add the arugula and chickpeas and warm through.


4. Greens, Beans, and Onions

Though lately I have been steering clear of beans in every meal, this is a great way to dress up your greens for a healthy side or, as I've done here, as the main event. Saute 1/2 onion in olive oil and add water if it begins to stick. Add your greens (any type, kale, swiss chard or even spinach) some garlic if desired and red beans. Saute until greens are slightly wilted (the less cooked the better for you!) and the beans are heated through. I sprinkle this with a dash of low sodium soy sauce and it's good to go!

2 comments: