Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Post-pregnancy, Post-illness, Post-vegetarian Post

I am back fellow foodies! I must confess that my long absence has been the equivalent of a mid-life descent into the food inferno and the climb back up mount vegetarian has left me just shy of opening the pearly gates to veganism once again. I make no excuses. I judge not. I simply admit that pregnancy, a near-death experience and a very hungry little baby boy have left my palate in such a state of neglect that I scarce know where to begin. 

I did start a post on healthy pregnant noshing, and, yes, it is grand to be pregnant so that you may eat as much as you want. Although they always leave out the unbearable heartburn and debilitating nausea. So, yes, you may eat all that you see, just remember that you will pay for that dearly! I was the most healthy that I have ever been pregnant. Don't believe me? Here is what I ate for breakfast every morning:



Followed by a big bowl of steel cut oatmeal chock full of chia seeds, some peanut butter and celery, avocado strips with tomato slices, and typically a hearty dose of vegan fare for dinner. I did, on occasion(s) eat an entire pizza, but hey, no guilt here! Here is my 8th month pregnant glow:


I was also incredibly uncomfortable and a raging insomniac who was addicted to reading romance novels and watching the Oprah channel. But that faded and I had a healthy baby boy naturally.

The gods must have figured an 'easy' labor was a blessing for what comes next is rather shocking. I contracted a virulent Strep A infection from being in the hospital with a depressed immune system (yes, having a baby does that to you). It entered my bloodstream and began to damage all of my limbs. I had emergency surgery on my ankles, knees, elbows and wrists a week after delivery. I very nearly lost my right arm. From all accounts I was a very lucky girl to survive. Here is the first time I could see my little one after being in the hospital for two weeks:






 The hospital cuisine was my first step off the healthy road (oh, the irony!) I was not able to eat for quite some time. I distinctly remember looking to my mother with envy as she tore open a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips and washed it down with a Coke one night at 2 a.m. In her defense, she had been up all night with me and a very high, delirium rich fever. Food options were scarce and she surely deserved some sustenance after convincing me that I could not, in fact, jump out of my bed and run around the hospital. (I could not move any of my limbs at that point) My first "real" food was broth and juice and when I began to recover, I had to eat massive amounts of protein to heal. I ate eggs, cheese sandwiches and peanut butter in addition to a protein supplement with Greek yogurt. I must say that nearly dying does help with the baby-weight, but I do not recommend it!

It has been six months. I am finally able to cook for myself and eat the things that I have craved for so long: quinoa, vegetable curries, tempeh steaks, kale, green smoothies! And now I have a little birdie to feed as well. No sour cream and onion chips for him! Nothing but a fresh organic feast for this little one. This is one of his first meals, haricot vert, cherry tomato and potato soup with cinnamon and squash puree:

 He has already had turnip, parsnip, all sorts of squash and potato. This week he begins the Glowing Green Smoothie!



In the next months I hope to post some new inventions of mine that include hot and spicy inspirations and old Italian favorites! I will also post some baby food recipes and tips - so easy and curiously pleasing to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment